Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Waffle Blocks, Outer Space, Encoded Driftwood, and Lennon/McCartney


I had this dream a few months ago, and it was awesome.

First and foremost, John Lennon was alive. Secondly, his partnership with Paul McCartney had been restored. Apparently the dream took place in the mid-80s, as both John and Paul were all middle-aged and mellow and domestic and lovely (those of you who know me will be able to imagine how much this delighted my soul). 

                                                                 Lennon, 1980

                                                          McCartney, c. 1984


Like all good literary and/or cinematic partnerships, theirs was one of constant banter overlaying a deep mutual understanding and affection. The nature of  their collaboration had changed a little, however. Instead of being songwriters, they were on a mission to save the universe from the Corrupt Bureaucratic Empire which held all sentient life under its iron thumb of censorship and stagnation. Their first order of business was to get approval from said government to rent a space-travel pod. The Pod-Approval-Giver guy (who was large and hulking in an overgrown warthog sort of way... I'm not sure if he was supposed to be an alien or not) was skeptical of their intentions; Lennon/McCartney's reputation had preceded them, apparently. But John and Paul managed to convince him by the fact that they were bringing their wives along. 

"See," they said, having turned themselves partly into giant replicas of those fat plastic waffle-block toys that usually came with a wheeled green base, ostensibly so that you could build a wagon or something, though every kid I ever knew just used it as a skateboard while pretending to be old and cool enough to actually own a skateboard. 


Anyway, John and Paul demonstrated the innocence of their intentions by becoming humanoid/waffle-block boxes and fitting themselves together with their respective spouses (John was red, Yoko blue, Paul green, Linda yellow). Somehow this convinced hulking warthog dude, and he rented them the Space Pod (a small spherical spacecraft, good only for travel within a single solar system). 

They shot away to a different planet very much like earth (I don't know if the dream started out in our solar system or not), where they hiked around in an awesome canyon-ridden jungle for a while before coming to the ocean and finding what they were looking for: a piece of driftwood. 


The grooves and crevices of this driftwood were encoded with Special Information which would enable John and Paul to defeat the Empire. They were the only people in the universe who were able to decipher it. There was a very cool acid-trip-like sequence where I was able to zoom in with my mind on the hidden code and see it all come spilling out in iridescent digitization. It was groovy.

Next scene was a big epic Space Battle. John and Paul manned the controls of their nifty new spaceship (a definite upgrade from the Pod), and I was aware that in this age, we had discovered that the fabric of space was knit together by a three-dimensional pattern of invisible energy threads, sort of in the shape of chicken-wire. For space travel, we had also discovered that the way to achieve maximum maneuverability was to tap into these energy threads. For example, the fastest way to turn around and face the opposite direction was not to turn around using your own power, but to move ahead along one of the energy threads and essentially loop around to your original position, twisting to face the other way. Anyway, this was the method of space-motion used in the battle and I thought it was cool and that I'd mention it.


As I say, John and Paul fought away, their complementary natures and abilities making them the perfect duo. I assume they had some sort of army under their command at this point, though that was never addressed. John was in charge of large missile deployment and overall battle strategy, advances and retreats, while Paul was in charge of reconnaissance, tapping into enemy spaceships' information systems, creating distractions and diversions, and occasionally acting as a sniper. I liked this because I think it's a pretty good reflection of their personalities and songwriting styles. John is interested in the big picture, Paul deals with details. John is straightforward, Paul is obscure. John speaks universal truths, Paul finds the universe contained in a seashell. John makes sweeping statements in his songs, Paul describes specific images. John says, "All you need is love," Paul says, "Eleanor Rigby picks up the rice in a church where a wedding has been." John says, "Well I'm lonely; wanna die," Paul says, "My hair is a tangled beretta." John says "Beautiful beautiful beautiful beautiful boy," Paul says, "Picking up a mountain: Mama's little girl." 

I don't remember how the dream ended. I'm sure Lennon and McCartney, having already conquered the world back in the 60s, had no trouble conquering the universe together this time around. I loved every minute of this dream. It was probably the best one I've ever had.

2 comments:

Beckah said...

Dude. Annie. That is INCREDIBLE. I envy you your elaborate and infinitely detailed dreams.

And if you made this into a movie, I can guarantee that it would become a cult classic.

Liz said...

Annie, you have the most epic dreams, and I'm in love with your sleep-brain. And your awake-brain too.

And I think it's entirely appropriate that halfway through reading this, I realized that I was listening to "Rubber Soul."

And I dig your comparison of John=big pic, Paul=details. I think that's true.